Data Scientist, University of Connecticut School of Medicine
The University of Connecticut School of Medicine is recruiting a full-time PhD-level data scientist to provide data mining and analytical support for researchers across the institution. This position will report to the Office of the Dean or designee and hold a faculty appointment at the rank of assistant or associate professor.
The successful candidate will provide consultation and assistance on research projects for faculty. Other opportunities, such as teaching and collaborating on externally funded grants, are possible and encouraged. The ideal team member will have the mathematical and data expertise. The ability to mine, interpret, and cleanse data is needed.
- Selecting features, building and optimizing classifiers using machine learning techniques
- Data mining using state-of-the-art methods
- Extending institution’s data with third party sources of information when needed
- Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
- Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner
- Creating automated anomaly detection systems and constant tracking of its performance
Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as R, Weka, NumPy, MatLab, etc
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with data visualization tools, such as Tableau, Clik, etc.
- Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL, Python, Hive, Pig
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase
- Have applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Have scripting and programming skills
- Ideal candidate should have a PhD degree in a quantitative field (e.g., mathematics, computer science, physics, engineering, statistics, operations research, etc.) and be qualified for a faculty appointment or a senior staff appointment
Applications should be submitted via this website: http://jobs.uchc.edu (search number: 2022-825) with a cover letter, research statement, and curriculum vitae. Preference will be given to applications received prior to December 1, 2022.
UConn Health is an affirmative action employer, in addition to an EEO and M/F/V/PWD/PV employer.