Tuolumne Co Supt Schools
Education Specialist, Community Schools
Education Specialist Mod/Severe Primary & Middle School
22/23 183 day salary schedule + $5,000 signing bonus
Tuol Co Supt Schools, Sonora CA
The Director II, Special Education will report directly to the SELPA Executive Director and serve on
committees as assigned by the SELPA Director. He/she will provide educational and administrative
leadership to the certificated and classified staff and students of all Special Education Programs operated by
ESSENTIAL JOB TASKS
1. Represents and coordinates Special Education services with outside agencies, school districts and the
public at large.
2. Provides assistance to staff and coordinates with the Executive Director in monitoring compliance with
federal, state and department policies, rules and regulations.
3. Assists and participates in the development of curriculum for special needs students.
4. Develops and monitors program schedules and assignments for special education staff.
5. Manages related program and student records.
6. Implements SELPA policies and regulations.
7. Provides support to district staff regarding district special education programs.
8. Coordinates the transition of students within SELPA programs to and from district programs.
9. Coordinates staff development.
10. Assumes oversight responsibility for special education programs in the SELPA.
11. Assures that appropriate staff is in attendance at all IEP and Triennial Assessment meetings.
12. Attends IEP and Triennial Assessment meetings as program administrator.
13. Attends SELPA meetings and committee meetings as needed.
14. Serves as liaison to districts and outside agencies.
15. Completes written reports, as necessary.
16. Reports the status of the program to staff, community and the Board.
17. Apprises the SELPA Executive Director in a timely manner of issues that may have fiscal implications.
18. Holds required pre and post staff observation meetings; conducts formal and informal classified and
certificated staff observations.
1. Assists the SELPA Executive Director in planning, preparing and monitoring budgets for assigned
educational programs. Reviews and recommends approval of requests made by staff.
2. Approves staff requests for conferences, workshops, meetings and in-services out of the county
within the established budget.
1. Assists the personnel department to fill and maintain all special education positions complying with all
Federal, State and district regulations and procedures.
2. Supervises and trains assigned personnel.
3. Evaluates assigned certificated and classified personnel for special education.
4. Coordinates the activity of itinerant staff including, but not limited to Language, Speech and Hearing
Therapists, School Psychologists, Visually Impaired Teachers, Adaptive P.E. Teachers, School Nurses.
SELPA Compliance Issues
1. Coordinates pupil assessment procedures.
2. Provides oversight responsibilities of compliance/assessment for Student Individualized Education
3. Coordinates the SELPA Special Education CCR process.
4. Reviews and develops procedures for implementing special education services within the SELPA
Valid California Administrative Services credential
Any combination equivalent to: Teacher certification related to students served and five years
teaching or equivalent experience related to students with disabilities
Valid California Driver's license
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Special education learning principles including the severely disabled, instructional materials and
methods, evaluation procedures, clinical teaching and supervision, state and federal law pertaining to
special education, staff development and core curriculum, special education funding and budget
Coordinate, supervise and evaluate staff and provide educational and administrative assistance,
support and leadership
Develop and monitor a budget
Communicate orally and in writing to express ideas, thoughts and instructions clearly to clients,
community and staff
Collaborate effectively with inter and intra agencies
Apply knowledge of current research and theory in the special education field
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and the school community
Perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies