ACCOUNTING SUPERVISORPanoche Water District
PANOCHE WATER DISTRICT
TITLE: Accounting Supervisor
REPORTS TO: Director of Finance & Administration
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, year-round, at-will
PAY STATUS: Exempt
SALARY RANGE: $75,000 - $90,000 annually, depending upon qualifications
DATE: March 20, 2017
THE PANOCHE WATER DISTRICT
The Panoche Water District serves agricultural production on the western side of the San
Joaquin Valley in both Merced and Fresno Counties. The District’s main office is at 52027 West Althea
Ave., Firebaugh, CA 93622. The climate and soils provide for some of the best agricultural production in
the world. Crops grown in the District include Pistachios, Almonds, Tomatoes, Grapes, Melons, Cotton,
Olives, Pomegranates and a wide variety of other annual and permanent crops.
The District’s farmers use very progressive farming practices. Out of the 38,000 acres in the
District, about 32,000 are irrigated with micro-irrigation and 22,000 acres have installed “tile” drainage
systems. The District manages several other local water and drainage agencies that provide both water
and drainage service to the region including the Pacheco Water District, Mercy Springs Water District,
Panoche Drainage District, Charleston Drainage District, and the San Joaquin River Improvement
Program. The District currently employs about 60 employees.
The Accounting Supervisor will perform and oversee a wide range of professional accounting
activities, including water supply accounting. The Supervisor works at the direction of the Director of
Finance & Administration and is responsible for overseeing a current staff of six to manage all of the
District’s day-to-day transactional financial and water accounting activities, including General Ledger
maintenance, preparing internal and external reports, maintaining systems, and assisting in preparing
audit materials. The Supervisor will exercise maturity, integrity, initiative, discretion, and sound business
judgement. The Supervisor is expected to work closely with the District’s Compliance Officer and Division
Supervisors and will occasionally interact with the General Manager.
• Assists the Director of Finance & Administration in all matters, including maintaining accounting
systems, and making necessary modifications to the District’s accounting and reporting systems in
conformance with governmental GAAP, and other management requirements.
• Directs the day-to-day activities of the financial and water accounting staff.
• Prepares the monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports and may report to Executive
Management and/or the Board of Director.
• Provides timely, accurate and consistent recording and reporting of the District’s financial activities.
• Ensures all accounting systems software is adequate and up-to-date.
• Prepares detailed documentation for federal & state grants and for federal & state grant audits.
• Prepares and directs accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll activities.
• Works with his/her staff and other district staff in preparing audit materials in a timely manner for
• Assists in developing budgets.
• Works with Water Master and Water Accountants for all water related accounting activities;
receivables, billings, delinquencies, and collections.
• Manages the responsibilities, authority, and accountability of all direct subordinates, regularly
monitors performance and provides coaching for performance improvement and development; takes
disciplinary action to address performance deficiencies, in accordance with District policies.
• Performs other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of principles and practices of accounting, auditing, budgeting, financial reporting, and, cost
accounting and public utility administration.
• Knowledge of methods and techniques of statistical and financial analysis.
• Knowledge of principles, practices, and methods of budget preparation and variance analysis.
• Knowledge of federal, state and local rules relating to governmental accounting and budgeting.
• Ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines.
• Ability to develop and maintain accurate financial information for reporting and preparation of
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to work independently as well as work effectively in teams.
• Results oriented, self-motivated and able to work in a dynamic and changing environment with a
diverse work force.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Emphasis in accounting or finance is a
• Three or more years of accounting experience and knowledge of accounting procedures and reporting
requirements in a public entity environment. Prefer experience in grant accounting.
• Minimum of two years’ experience in administration and leading accounting staff.
• Combination of two years’ experience and education in Technical Accounting.
• Valid California Class C Driver’s License. Must be insurable under the District’s auto insurance policy.
The District provides a competitive employee benefits package for all regular full-time employees
which currently includes a 401(k) retirement program and medical, dental, vision, life and voluntary longterm
disability insurance coverage. In addition to insurance benefits, the District provides full-time
employees paid time off that accrues at a rate of 80 hours per year for new employees, paid sick leave
that accrues at a rate of 72 hours per year, and 9 ½ paid holidays per year.
The selection process is intended to help identify the best person for the job. The selection
process may include, but is not limited to, a written or an oral examination, an interview, a background
investigation (post-offer), and a pre-employment physical which includes a substance abuse test (postoffer.)
Any individual needing special assistance or reasonable accommodation in order to participate in
the selection process should contact the District to request an accommodation.
Interviews will be scheduled at a time of the District’s convenience during the week ending April
20, 2018 and conducted at the District’s office located at 52027 West Althea Ave, Firebaugh, CA 93622.
The successful applicant will be expected to begin work no later than May 7, 2018.
HOW TO APPLY
Application materials can be obtained by contacting Janelle McClendon by calling (209) 364-6136
or by writing to email@example.com. Applications will only be accepted through April 13, 2018.
When submitting an application for employment, be sure to read the instructions carefully to
ensure you have fully completed the application package. All application forms are to be signed and dated
by the applicant. To be eligible for consideration, the complete application package must be received by
the District by 5 p.m. April 13, 2018. Resumes may be attached to an application package; however, they
are not accepted in lieu of an application.