Job ID Number: 35761
About the Office:
The Mayor’s Office of Communications leads the effort to inform, update, and engage New Yorkers about Mayor Eric Adams’ commitments to fighting income inequality, ensuring every child gets a quality education, every community is safe, and every New Yorker has an affordable place to call home.
About the Role:
Working in the NYC Mayor’s Office at City Hall under the direction of the Communications Director will oversee the mechanics of the larger team effort required to draft the Mayor’s speeches, tweets, op-eds and other written materials. The Speechwriter will lead the message development of remarks for a broad scope of issues and communications needs. The speechwriter will coordinate with relevant City agencies and senior staff to develop formal and informal remarks and speeches.
The Speechwriter should have a strong grasp on civic engagement, policy development, and government services.
Responsibilities May Include:
- Drafting remarks, op-eds, press statements and other materials;
- Supporting the management of the speechwriting assignment calendar in conjunction with Speechwriting team leadership;
- Helping to assign out, edit, finalize and shepherd along copy in a timely way;
- Coordinating with internal leadership and project teams in the Office of the Mayor, City agencies, and external organizations to ensure accuracy and consistency; and
- Analyzing remarks as delivered, current news, press material and more to refine facts and messaging.
- 2-5 years of experience in public relations, journalism or communication;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills and media knowledge required;
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills and ability to apply high-level communications thinking to remarks;
- Superior ability to organize, manage and drive multiple projects, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, required;
- Proficiency in electronic communications media, as well as with such social media networks as Facebook and Twitter, required; and
- Availability for night and weekend work on a regular basis.
Salary: Commensurate with experience, with excellent benefits
Commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and three (3) references to Candidate Application
New York City Residency Is Required Within 90 Days of Appointment
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
The Adams Administration values diversity — in backgrounds and in experiences that is reflective of the city it serves. Applicants of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged and welcomed to apply.
For current job opportunities in the NYC Mayor’s Office visit the Mayor’s Office Job’s Page
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting Human Resources at HR@cityhall.nyc.gov.
As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.