Senior Investment Officer - Private Equity
NYC OFFICE OF THE COMPTROLLER
JOB VACANCY NOTICE
The Bureau of Asset Management (BAM) is responsible for oversight of the investment portfolios of the New York City Retirement Systems (Systems). The Systems’ $270 billion portfolio is managed primarily by external investment managers and is largely invested in publicly traded securities, with additional allocations to private equity, real estate, infrastructure, hedge funds, and opportunistic fixed income investments.
The Senior Investment Officer will assist in overseeing the investment activity of the Systems’ private equity fund investments. Under the supervision of the Private Equity Asset Class Head, responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Leading initiatives to identify, review, and evaluate prospective investment opportunities; conducting due diligence on investment opportunities; updating internal database of prospective investment opportunities;
• Developing framework for analyzing the historical track record of prospective investment opportunities and other financial analyses; constructing financial models and performing technical analyses; summarizing the due diligence findings in investment recommendation memoranda for internal Investment Committee and Boards of Trustees;
• Preparing and presenting investment recommendations and results to BAM’s Investment Committee and the Systems’ Boards of Trustees;
• Reviewing deal documents and working with the investment team, the General Counsel’s office, and consultants in negotiating terms and conditions of new investment agreements and other related contracts;
• Monitoring and managing the portfolio of existing investments to ensure compliance with the terms of the limited partnership agreement and other contracts and expectations; overseeing development of internal database of existing investments; preparing presentations and analyses used in annual implementation and strategic plans;
• Designing criteria and parameters for research analyses on market trends, strategies, industries, sectors, geographies, and other topics as required; ensuring the accuracy of partnership reporting, including the financial statements, quarterly reports, notices of distributions, capital calls, and investment valuations;
• Reviewing and making recommendations on amendment requests, consent notices, and other contract changes; participating in limited partner advisory committee meetings, annual meetings, and quarterly update calls; writing investment update reports, briefing memoranda, and meeting summaries
• Utilizing relationships with general partners to monitor fund developments; designing reports to track Systems’ investment activity; and assisting in developing agenda for investment conferences and other events; and,
• Performing related assignments or special projects as may be required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
• A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in business, economics, finance, accounting or a closely related field, and four (4) or more years of progressively responsible experience in a financial services organization handling complex financial transactions with considerable exposure to private equity funds or similar experience at a consulting firm/bank; or,
• BS/BA degree from an accredited college with major studies in the fields mentioned above and six (6) or more years of progressively responsible professional experience as described above; or,
• A satisfactory equivalent of education and experience mentioned above.
PREFERRED SKILLS IN ADDITION TO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
• Must possess an expert knowledge of financial principles and concepts that are crucial to the underwriting and valuation of private equity partnerships;
• Experience in investment manager sourcing and due diligence, portfolio management, structuring, and monitoring;
• Professional certification such as CFA or CAIA, or equivalent;
• Excellent accounting, financial, writing, presentation, interpersonal, communication and organizational skills;
• Expertise with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
TO APPLY, GO TO: Employment Opportunities at www.comptroller.nyc.gov
The selected candidate will be subject to the financial disclosure requirements of the office’s Personal Trading Policy.
Note: We appreciate every applicant’s interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. Certain residency requirements may apply. Under Executive Order 75, all new City employees are subject to mandatory vaccination requirements. Vacancy notices listed as “Until Filled” will be posted for at least five workdays.
POSTING DATE: August 30, 2022 POST UNTIL: Until Filled JVN: 015/023/031
The NYC Comptroller’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer