Director of Alumni Relations
Director of Alumni Relations
at Nova Southeastern University
Nova Southeastern University, a not-for-profit, independent, multi-campus university in Florida, seeks an energetic, detail-oriented professional to serve as Director of Alumni Relations. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving, the Director plans and manages the University’s alumni outreach program that serves more than 200,000 alumni across the nation and beyond. The start date is negotiable, with August 2022 being the preference.
For complete information, see the Search Profile at
About the University
Founded in 1964, Nova Southeastern University (NSU) has a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. George L. Hanbury II, Ph.D., has served as President and CEO of the University since July 2011. Under his leadership, NSU has refocused its Mission and Vision, establishing eight core values to guide NSU into the future: Academic Excellence, Student Centered, Integrity, Innovation, Opportunity, Scholarship/Research, Diversity, and Community.
NSU has more than 22,000 students enrolled across 15 colleges and schools. Offering more than 288 academic programs, the University awards over 6,000 degrees each year, including doctoral, professional, master’s, and bachelor’s, as well as graduate-level certificates.
Classified as a research university with “high research activity” by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, NSU receives more than $107 million in external funding for projects that advance the University’s mission of research, academic excellence, and public service. Hundreds of basic, applied, and clinical research projects are underway to improve patient care, make new drug discoveries, reduce mental health disorders, and examine the forces that impact the oceans.
The largest private research university in Florida, NSU has nine campuses. The main campus is in Fort Lauderdale/Davie, Florida, and delivers students a traditional college experience with on-campus housing, 17 men’s and women’s NCAA Division II teams, and more than 100 on-campus clubs and organizations, including fraternities and sororities. Regional campuses, located in Fort Myers, Jacksonville, Miami, Miramar, Orlando, Palm Beach, and Tampa, Florida, as well as San Juan, Puerto Rico, provide an on-campus atmosphere with evening and weekend classes along with administrative and student services and academic resources.
Many students attend NSU through a vast array of degree programs in fully online or hybrid formats. Having pioneered distance education nearly 50 years ago, NSU’s online education experience is unparalleled and has served as a model for other institutions across the country.
One of NSU’s core values is engaging with the external community though diverse services, clinical programs, and community-based research and resources. Students, faculty, and staff give back to the community each year through approximately 2,000 community events. NSU is classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as one of only 59 universities out of more than 4,000 that have the dual designation of both “high research” and “community engaged.”
The Alumni Association
The Nova Southeastern University Alumni Association has more than 200,000 alumni living in all 50 states and 119 countries around the world. The Association is committed to engaging and enriching the lives of alumni while creating meaningful relationships to assist in the continued development of its members.
All graduates of Nova Southeastern University receive a free lifetime membership in the NSU Alumni Association including access to special members-only benefits and services: networking opportunities with alumni around the world, career development to help manage professional success, discounts and services available for local and national brands, and special event Invitations to connect with alumni and stay connected to NSU.
The NSU Alumni Association is a resource for alumni to stay connected to their alma mater no matter where they are in the world. With alumni located across the United States and around the world, the reach of NSU’s alumni network is limitless.
One of the major annual events of the Alumni Association is the presentation of the Distinguished Alumni Achievement Award, the highest and most prestigious honor NSU bestows upon its graduates. Following an in-depth selection process, recipients are announced at a special ceremony hosted by the NSU Alumni Association.
The Director of Alumni Relations provides leadership and direction to the University’s alumni program. In consultation with the Assistant Vice President of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving, the Director develops, plans, and implements programs, activities, and events that engage alumni to strengthen their connection to NSU as part of the University’s strategic goals and objectives.
This administrator’s work style should demonstrate enthusiasm, confidence, professionalism, and excellent people skills as the Director interacts with university administrators, faculty, staff, students, alumni, volunteers, and community and corporate leaders and representatives.
Essential Job Functions
Strategic Planning and Implementation
- Educate leaders and alumni about NSU’s Vision 2025 and the role alumni play.
- Collaborate with both internal department members and broader university partners to identify and integrate resources in order to accomplish strategic goals and objectives.
- Plan and manage a national alumni outreach program that fosters a high level of alumni participation and programming to exceed alumni engagement index performance goals.
- Manage the Alumni Relations team to develop the overall strategic direction of the NSU Alumni Association.
- Work with Advancement Services to update alumni information to identify annual fund and volunteer prospects.
Programming and Events
- Develop a strategic plan for attending regional events, meetings and other regional campuses involving visits of the President, Vice Presidents, Deans, university staff, administrators, and faculty.
- Work closely with team to execute alumni programs.
- Manage the planning of signature, university-wide events where alumni groups have a role.
- Provide information about alumni events for inclusion in the monthly e-newsletter.
- as a supportive member of the University Advancement team on various fundraising campaigns, cultivation, and special events.
- Attend alumni functions and meetings on evenings and on weekends.
Fundraising and Philanthropic Initiatives
- Work closely with Major Gifts and Annual Fund teams to identify prospects and aid in the cultivation/solicitation process.
- Work closely with the Student Affairs Coordinators at each NSU Regional Campus to strategize on alumni and student programs and crowdfunding opportunities.
- Solicit alumni for Annual Fund donations ($1-$25,000).
- Create and distribute presentations for alumni and internal university staff on the programs and services of the alumni association.
- Work with students to incorporate connections and build the pipeline for a smooth transition to alumni status post-graduation.
- Review budget with department head, manage approved budget, and ensure that expenses are minimized while return is maximized. Create and present new proposals for financial forecasting and new expenditures.
- Be innovative and think outside the box with creative fundraising strategies.
- Develop an effective volunteer program by identifying, recruiting, training, and managing alumni volunteers.
- Organize and build leadership in regional areas and assist alumni in implementing regional gatherings.
- Train alumni volunteers on the operations of the NSU Alumni Association and expectations of volunteer roles.
- Maintain regular communications with volunteers through personal visits, telephone calls, e-mails, and correspondence.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Coordinate the hiring, training, and supervising of employees.
Candidate must have a bachelor’s degree and at least five years of experience in development, public relations, volunteer management, alumni relations, or related field.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Extensive writing experience and strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including skills in and comfort level with public speaking and presentations.
- Proven success in developing programs and events
- Ability to interact in a diplomatic, service oriented, professional manner with the university community.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, ability to work well under pressure, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to interact with corporate executives and key academic administrators in a professional manner.
- Experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office, databases, and graphic design.
- Energetic team-player who works well in a group setting including building and managing relationships in a complex work environment.
- Strong project management and organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- Effective time management skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team with both professional staff members and volunteers.
- To ensure a safe learning environment for students and staff, as a condition of employment the selected candidate will need to provide proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencement of employment or an approved exemption and reasonable accommodation.
- A background screening is required.
NSU’s comprehensive benefits package includes tuition waiver along with health and retirement plans.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Fort Lauderdale offers beautiful ocean beaches, scenic inland waterways, and a broad range of cultural offerings. With an estimated population of 186,000, Fort Lauderdale is one of the largest cities in Florida and is known for its outstanding quality of life. The city’s year-round ocean breezes and sunny days allow residents to enjoy outdoor recreation and activities throughout the year.
While continuing to be a popular tourist destination, Fort Lauderdale has successfully attracted a wide range of industries to diversify its growing economy. Today, companies and industries in the areas of marine, finance, manufacturing, high technology, aerospace, insurance, and film and television production call this ocean-side city home.
Whether strolling the city’s picturesque Riverwalk, visiting a museum, or enjoying entertainment and fine dining, Fort Lauderdale is a great place to live, work, and enjoy life.
application & nomination process
Confidential inquiries are welcomed, and nominations are invited.
Application packet must include: 1) A letter of application that addresses the responsibilities and qualifications of the position, 2) Résumé, and 3) At least four references with full contact information including e-mail (References will not be contacted without consent from applicant.)
Submit application packet (preferably as PDFs) to NovaSU-Alumni@myersmcrae.com by June 30, 2022, for best consideration. Additional information will be requested upon receipt of application. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Submit nominations to NovaSU-Alumniemail@example.com with complete contact and e-mail information for the individual being nominated.
Jennifer Barfield, Senior Vice President, of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting, is the lead consultant for this search with Emily Parker Myers, CEO, assisting. Request a conversation regarding this search at JenniferBarfield@myersmcrae.com.
Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary. Nova Southeastern University considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Concerned for the health and welfare of its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors, NSU is a tobacco-free university.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting
www.myersmcrae.com | 478-330-6222