Registered Nurse (RN), $5,000 SIGN ON BONUS Full Time, Murfreesboro Home Care area - NO ON-CALL required!
Registered Nurse (RN), $5,000 SIGN ON BONUS Full Time, Home Care/Southeast Middle TN (Murfreesboro based) - NO ON-CALL!
A CAREER CHANGE THAT CHANGES YOU!
The Registered Nurse serves as case manager for assigned patients. Responsible for identifying and coordinating patient/family needs and for providing preventive and supportive care to the terminally ill patient/ family unit. The hospice nurse utilizes assessment, intervention and teaching skills in caring for the patient/family unit.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Visits patients/families in their place of residence to assess for appropriateness of services and/or admit to Alive Hospice.
- Performs initial physical, psychosocial and spiritual assessment of the patient and family.
- Uses nursing process to establish and implement a hospice plan of care in collaboration with interdisciplinary team members.
- Anticipates the need for and initiates interventions to prevent complications, and to alleviate symptoms of physical and psychological discomfort to achieve maximum well-being.
- Provide skilled nursing care to patients.
- Educates the patients/caregivers concerning plan of care, its goals and the implications of diagnosis and prognosis. This includes but is not limited to education about medications, use, administration and side effects, how to provide care, how to contact Alive for assistance, and expectations throughout the process.
- Educates and councils patients/caregivers in resource conservation techniques and skills to help maintain the patient at home.
- Acts as a liaison between Alive Hospice and the patient's primary physician.
- Evaluates the need for and arranges for home equipment, medication and supplies as appropriate per Alive Hospice policies/procedures.
- Reports unusual and problematic patient/care giver issues to appropriate Clinical Director and other IDT members.
- Instructs, supervises and mentors the performance of CNT/HHA and other staff as designated by the Clinical Director
- Attends patient deaths, utilizing Alive Hospice procedures. Provides support to patient's caregivers.
- As agency needs dictate, provides coverage for after-hours care or staffing crisis.
- Complete all clinical documentation per Alive Hospice policy and regulations in a timely manner.
- Participates in Interdisciplinary Care Planning Conference and team meetings.
- Collaborates with team members to assure appropriate, empathetic and effective patient/care giver support and care.
- Notifies appropriate staff of status changes per Alive Hospice procedure.
- Functions as case manager within patient care team collaborating with other members to reach desired patient outcomes.
- Demonstrates good resource management and recognizes the implications of cost in relation to agency budget.
- Communicates with physicians, medical directors and other health care providers regarding patient assessment and response to plan of care.
- Serves as clinical preceptor for professional students as requested.
- Recognizes and supports agency commitment to provide education and research opportunities to promote and enhance the specialty of hospice and palliative care.
- Other duties may also be assigned.
Provides supervision for CNT/HHA in the home care setting. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Current Tennessee RN License or compact license. Hospice certification desirable. If required to drive to carry out the duties of this position: current driver's license and automobile insurance as required by Tennessee State Law.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move more than 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Frequently required to drive an automobile.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to infectious diseases and use of an automobile. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, risk of radiation, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Usually in a patient's home.
The agency requires this position to complete 15 hours of continuing education per year covering topics that will contribute to improvements in carrying out the above responsibilities. Regulatory agencies may require some disciplines to have additional hours in order to be licensed or certified.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, including meeting the required competencies. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Registered Nurse with a current nursing license, BSN preferred. Knowledge of or willingness to learn hospice care. Minimum one year nursing practice or equivalent experience required. Hospice, Oncology, or Home Health and/or long-term care preferred.